Do you have difficulty solving mathematical word problems? Do you need a strategy to tackle word problems? You’re not alone. Many students have difficulty with this area of math.
This strategy can be utilized for all math word problems as well as math-related word problems in other courses such as chemistry or physics. After practicing the step-by-step method, you will find solving math problems less daunting.
The GRASS Method
- Step 1 – GIVEN Read the question slowly and carefully. Reread the question. Write down or highlight/underline the GIVEN values.
- Step 2 – REQUIRED Write down what the problem is asking you to find. This is the information that is REQUIRED.
- Step 3 – APPLY Identify key words that will help you APPLY the correct math operation or formula.
- Step 4 – SOLVE (and check!) Perform the calculations by plugging in given values to SOLVE the problem. Think about your answer - does it make sense?
- Step 5 - STATEMENT Write a STATEMENT that answers the question asked. Make sure to include units!
Word Problem Practice using the GRASS method.